Fire Engineering & Fire Design

  • Acceptable Solution
  • VM Design
  • Alternative Solution
  • Specific Design
  • Construction Monitoring
  • Occupancy Number Assessments

Fire Engineering & Fire Design

CoveKinloch New Zealand Ltd has a proven track record of providing practical and cost-effective fire engineering services for owned or leased building stock.

Our experienced fire engineering team provides fire engineering reports, fire safety design, advice, documentation and technical support.

Our fire engineering services include:

Fire Engineering Design

Building consent applications for new buildings and alterations will likely require a fire engineering design report. We can assist with Acceptable Solution design reports, as well as more complex and innovative solutions using Verification Method, Alternative Solution or Specific Design methods.

Complex CFD Modelling for Fire Protection

Larger and more complex buildings may require computer modelling (Building Act 2004) to assist in the design of an effective fire protection system and we have significant experience in this area.

Construction Monitoring

The implementation of an effective fire protection system is just as important as its design. Our experienced fire engineers can work closely with your project team to ensure all systems are implemented correctly and in accordance with the NZ Building Code.

Technical Due Diligence

Our fire engineers can provide technical due diligence inspections and expert advice on any building prior to committing to an unconditional sale and purchase agreement.


Michael Leung
Fire Engineer
BEng(Hons), MEng(Mech), MEngSt(Fire)
022 677 0312
Dallen Chan
Senior Fire Engineer
BEng(Hons), MEngSt(Fire)
022 122 4752
Ian McKenzie
Senior Fire and Accessibility Consultant
Passive Fire Protection, FPANZ Certified Evacuation Consultant
029 520 9593
Rob Holland
BE MEngSt (Fire), CPEng, CMEngNZ, PMSFPE. Approved Producer Statement Author for NZBC Clauses C1-C6.
CoveKinloch New Zealand and Nelligan Consulting Engineers are industry partners with a very close working relationship.


  • Do I need a Fire Report for alterations to my building?

    In general, any non-residential work that requires an application for building consent will require a fire report. Please contact us directly and we will discuss the regulatory requirements applicable to your building.